Monday, March 2, 2009

Soundabet Assessment

You'd think after 28 years of teaching that HANDS ON would have occurred to me before today.

But it took that long for me!!

Here's a YouTube clip of Brandon going through his mid-year Soundabet Uppercase assessment. You'll notice, if you watch closely, that he corrects himself on CH (his initial response is /H/) and that he says /ee/ for the Y, which is what I teach as the sound for Y. Towards the end of the clip he skips the /er/ sound.

No big deal. Brandon knows so much about letter sounds that he's definitely going to be fine in first grade. This single assessment tells me much more than anything else, yes, including DIBELS, than any other indicator of basic early reading skill.



I'm delighted to be able to share this with the world over the internet!

No comments: