Sunday, December 20, 2009

80% by the Winter Break

It's winter break. Kindergarten is not yet half over.

I've got 29 kindergartners in my class. 23 have mastered the Soundabet. That's about 80%. Of the 6 kids who have not yet fully mastered the Soundabet, all but two are mostly there.  The 2 kids who aren't almost at mastery are "pulled" out for EL instruction while we're doing Soundabet. They'll have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll make sure it gets done....

The real story here is that so many have gone on well past Soundabet mastery and are now reading books to their moms. I got this email from one of the moms in my room:

Hi Mr.Gurney,
 
I wanted to thank you.  Jacob just read me his first of many books to come, The Foot Book by Dr.Seuss.  I always knew this day would come, I never thought he would be reading after his first few months of Kindergarten.
I can't say thank you enough.  I want you to know how truly amazing you are.  You certainly are a gifted Teacher.  I am blessed to have you teaching my son and if I am lucky, my daughter.
 
Thank you,
M. L.
 
That's what teaching the Soundabet can do.....

No comments: